How to Stay Safe at Christmas
Christmas is a special time for celebration and should not end in tragedy because of the extra hazards that are present at this time of year.
Here are a few hints and tips to keep you aware:
- Check the fuses are the right type (see the box for the maximum size of fuse you should use).
- If bulbs blow, replace them.
- Don’t leave fairy lights on when you go out or when you go to sleep.
- Don’t let the bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, like paper.
- Don’t overload sockets.
- Decorations made of light tissue paper or cardboard burn easily.
- Don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
- Don’t put them immediately above or around the fireplace.
- Keep them away from candles.
The awareness video below has been used by fire services and safety consultants to demonstrate how quickly something small can take hold.
More information can be found on the fire saftey website