What is a risk Assessment?
A risk assessment is to enable you to identify sensible control and measures for risks within your workplace.
Risk Assessments are not meant to create huge amounts of work for anyone in the company but should be there to ensure the safety of you and your workforce. You are likely to already have process in place with the aim to identify risks and how they should be dealt with. A risk assessment is just a document for you to have all the information in one place.
How to assess the risks in your workplace:
- Identify the hazards
- Decide who might be harmed and how
- Evaluate the risks and decide on precautions
- Record your significant findings
- Review your assessment and update if necessary
Many companies who are confident they understand the process and the risks involved can complete these themselves. You don’t have to be a health and safety expert.
When thinking about your risk assessment, remember:
- a hazard is anything that may cause harm, such as chemicals, electricity, working from ladders, an open drawer etc
- the risk is the chance, high or low, that somebody could be harmed by these and other hazards, together with an indication of how serious the harm could be
We have a number of risk assessments available to buy, why not see our layout below to see if it is something you could work with.